Would you like to explore the jungles of Sumatra and make a personal difference by contributing to those helping to save the magnificent orangutan species from extinction? Led by world-renowned orangutan expert Leif Cocks, Founder and President of The Orangutan Project (TOP), you will be guided through jungles on an exclusive expedition by a man who knows orangutans and this location like few others in the world.
On this twelve day Orangutan Odysseys tour, beginning and ending in Jakarta, you will visit pristine rainforests, trek with elephants into the jungles of Gunung Leuser National Park in Northern Sumatra and spend time viewing wild and ex-captive orangutans who wander freely in their natural surroundings. You will go back in time, to a place in the jungle where one of the first orangutan research camps was established in 1971 and see where some of first field research of the red ape was done.
You will also spend time along the way in a unique orangutan hospital and rescue centre where veterinarians are breaking new ground on medical treatment of the red ape and where orangutans are prepared for reintroduction back into the forests.
Highlights of the tour include:
- Spending time with and be personally educated by orangutan expert Leif Cocks.
- Visit a reforestation project and help plant new trees.
- See the orangutans in their natural rainforest habitat.
- Trek through the magnificent Gunung Leuser National Park.
- Visit the Orangutan Care Centre & Quarantine in Batu Mbelin (closed to the public).
- Travel into jungles to witness orangutan, siamangs, gibbons, leaf and macaque monkeys.
- See the people of Sumatra and their way of life.
- Most of all – help save the orangutans from extinction!
"Want the adventure of a lifetime and to see the orangutan species up close and in its natural habitat? This tour offers true ecotourism that helps conservation projects continue their great work. Why not see what is really going on, connect with the most intelligent fellow beings on the planet and meet the people working at the coal face and become part of the solution,” says Leif Cocks, President of TOP.
Participants in this expedition will include individual fundraising and a contribution to the survival of the orangutans and their habitat by adopting an orphaned orangutan and sponsoring 100 hectares of rainforest under The Orangutan Project Safeguard Program.