The integrated resort (IR)’s sustainability team has led projects across different business units to implement and drive changes to maximize energy savings. This is a challenging project given the scale and complexity of an integrated resort with different stakeholders.
Some key pointers:
• 31 energy savings projects were implemented since 2013 to better manage energy usage in the integrated resort. This has resulted in energy savings worth an estimated $13 million.
• Between 2012 – 2014, Marina Bay Sands saved 66,150,000 kWh of electricity. This is the average annual electricity used in 14,380 units of 4-room HDB flats in Singapore.
• Energy utilization per visitor in 2014 fell by 23% compared to 2012.
• Water consumption per visitor in 2014 fell by 7.8%.
• The IR’s waste management project plan, started in 2012, tracks recycling figures across 15 categories of waste, including paper, plastic, glass, metals, oil, food waste and more. More than 2,200 metric tonnes of waste is recycled annually.
• Marina Bay Sands has been providing its clients sustainable meeting options at no additional cost since 2013, helping like-minded event planners to reduce carbon footprint.
• In 2014, 67 external meetings were green and meeting organisers used harvest menus (menus with ingredients that are sourced sustainably)
As Marina Bay Sands enters its fifth year of operations, it continues to reinvest in the property and redefine the guest experience. Here are some noteworthy developments for MICE delegates to look forward to when they visit:
1) Adrift by Chef David Myers has officially opened, while celebrity chefs Gordon Ramsay and David Thompson will be following suit and opening their highly anticipated restaurants at Marina Bay Sands later this year.
2) Expanded shopping options at The Shoppes at Marina Bay Sands, including the first standalone Alexander McQueen in Singapore, new concept Moschino boutique, as well as upcoming Dolce & Gabbana Junior.
3) Some of the largest flagship conferences in Singapore such as the Forever Living Global Rally and the Jeunesse Global Expo Unite Annual World Conference will be held at Sands Expo and Convention Centre in 2015.
4) New meeting package, “A Rewarding First Meeting”, will be launched in March 2015. This promotion extends exclusive and competitive group accommodation rebate for its new MICE group customers.